Friday, September 18, 2009


This week I was instructed to visit Minnesota Center for Book Art (MCBA). Before arriving I did not have much excitement nor did I think the Minnesota Center for Book Art was a museum for art.
Once I walked in I was greeted with the smell of coffee and quite conversation. The walls were covered with beautiful black and white photography by Laura Crosby and many different colors. On one side of the wall were different types of print arts and on the other side of the wall was painted pictures.
Laura Crosby is a photographer who lives in Minneapolis and documents everyday living. Crosby is most known for homeless, physical challenges, youth prostitution, refugee camps and Alzheimer’s. The photos that were being presented where reflected around Alzheimer’s.
I have not had anyone in my family personally with Alzheimer’s but I could imagine how powerful Crosby’s photos could impact a family or person who have been affected and influenced by Alzheimer’s.
The environment of the Minnesota Center for Book Art was warm, relaxing and very unique. I would defiantly say the Minnesota Center for Book Art is a very exceptional place. The gallery is a multi-purpose building that has an exhibit, studio shop, reference library, coffee shop and office space.
The MCBA takes book art to a whole new level from the traditional craft making, letterpress and book binding converting the book into experimental art with self publishing techniques.
The MCBA offers diversity, education and interpretive experiences. I found myself very engaged in the art that was for viewing purposes. As I viewed the art I found Richard Australia Meade, USA the most interesting. Meade art was taken away by a theme that was printed with first letters. For example the art that was being shown was \
O- Open 1987
Q-Quote 1987

R-Rubberstamp 1988
S-Stamp 1988
I found his piece “Art Saves Lives” very interesting. This work of art was a fuchsia color piece of paper that had “Art Saves Lives” printed on it with a rubberstamp underneath his quote was a Trojan condom stapled to the paper. I felt this simple piece of art was very powerful and speaks out to everyone. I also really liked his “I don’t know anything about art but I know what I like.”
As I continued to go through the exhibit I was able to see the different types of presses relief and lithography. I was able to see art that was completed through the burning press. I found this art really neat the way it viewed on paper and the different colors used. I especially liked the way the dye appeared on the paper.
The art that was completed on the burning press was evolved around Genocide and Colonialism, organized by Hans Braumuller, Chile 1991-1992. Hans was involved in dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet and strived to rescue the origins and indentifies of Indigenous cultures. Words cannot explain what these prints look like.
I highly encourage everyone to go and visit the Minnesota Center for Book Art. I feel very confident that one will like it and enjoy their visit. This is a great place to study, converse, and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment