Saturday, September 5, 2009

My first adventure was to view the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum. The museum was created by Fredrick O. Gehry; it contains four floors the first two floors are parking, the third floor is the exhibits and the fourth floor is designated for office and viewing purposes. The museum uses natural lighting to enhance the viewing of the art and to give the viewer a more explicit experience.
The museum’s architecture is phenomenal it is created from stainless steel and uses it space by using different angels in the architecture. For one to really be able to view and picture the museum I highly recommend visiting the building. Depending on the weather and how high the sun is in the sky the colors and shadows the museum contains on the outside can vary.
I found the architecture and the view of the city from terrace the highlight of this experience. Even if one does not like to view art, I still would highly recommend a onetime visit. Words cannot explain the view of the city and architecture in words that will be able to justify the building itself.
Due to the museum only having one showing floor it will only hold five percent out of fifteen of their art at one time. In other words the museum will have two famous exhibits at once showing. The two exhibits I was fortunate enough to view were photographs taken by Abdi Roble of the Somalia-American culture and Robert Raushenburg’s currents.
Raushenburg’s art was created through news paper clippings and silk-screening them onto a board that showed many memorial moments of history. Many of the news paper topics were of issues that still remain issues today and have made an impact in today’s public disputes. I found this exhibit very interesting and I would best describe it as a history lesson. It seemed to me that Raushenburg used his techniques to remind the pubic of issues that are not always brought to ones attention but still exist.
I found a lot of his pictures were revolved around marijuana and war. I did not find a particular painting that stuck out in my mind that I was considering a favorite. I feel all of the pictures played an important role of helping out each other and creating one big master piece. I would say the one thing I walked away with was how memorized I was on the topics he was showing from the clippings of 1969 and how many of the topics are still be repeated today. “History does repeat itself” ran through my mind over and over as I viewed this gallery.
Robles photos were memorizing to me. The photography of the Somalia’s culture in the U.S. was remarkable. Roble used everyday living in her photos, she captured school days, children, adults, ultra sounds, different people coming to the U.S. with only their material goods on their back and she captured water supplies and homes of the Somalia’s culture. I feel the photos did an amazing job of capturing facial expression and space. The photos were created in black and white and gave a since of exhaustion in my perspective.
The one photo that stuck out the most to me was the water supply and how the Simians retrieve their water for their everyday living. The photo showed buckets being filled with water from a pipe that was stuck in the ground. The pipe was surrounded by mud and clay and many insects. This photo was very real to me and brought out a different perspective of the culture and how lucky we are in the U.S. to have running water from a facet and how little American’s think about the water and how lucky they are to be able to determine the temperature of the water.
I was only able to give a small glimpse of the museum and how the galleries being shown today are impacting to our everyday living styles. I would highly recommend viewing these exhibits’ as well as the museum itself. The museum is free to the public and is located on the U of M campus in Minneapolis, MN. Depending on how intrigued you are with the art shown will determine how much you will pay for parking. I ended up being at this museum for a total of two hours costing me $6.00 to park.
If you do decide to visit the museum please go to the top floor and walk out the terrace and see the sky scrapers and Mississippi River. I promise you that you will not be disappointed from your own viewing and perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment