Monday, October 26, 2009

In the dead of the season only one thing can cheer you up, COLOR! Color is exactly what I saw when I went to visit the Como Park and Conservatory! With the beautiful architecture and landscape gave me a spurs of spring while I warmed my hands with my mittens.
The Como Park Conservatory opened its doors in 1915 to a beautiful Victorian style Green-House. With political conflicts of the park being a decorative floral or a natural park stroked the St. Paul area. The decision was left up to the superintendent Robert Moss. Robert decided that he would create a park that was flattering to everyone’s taste; a park of beauty with both wooded walk ways as well as a floral look.
In the past parks served as a work of art. Plants were planted in an elaborate design to create an artistic look. I strongly feel Como was an immaculate example of this era. The timeless conflict of struggles still remains today. On the outside of the park the landscape is filled with trees, ponds, sculptures, picnic areas and walking paths.
As you look at the landscape you will see a large green-house that is surrounded by windows and a water flow that wraps around the building. The view of the plants from the inside gave me a warm sensation as I stood on the outside. I remember telling myself as I stood there gazing at the architecture “That everything surrounding me on the outside was dying as everything on the inside was blooming.” I really appreciated seeing such beauty in the dead of fall.
As I walked into the green house I was welcomed by Ferns and the relatives of Ferns. It was as if I walked into a rain forest. The atmosphere was muggy, thick with a lot of moisture the room was warm and green with a lack of color.
When walking into this room I highly recommend looking at the plants in detail. You will see many different plants with unique textures for example the “Lacy Tree Fern, from Australia.” This plant was covered with a unique texture that reminded me of noodles. Defiantly something I will Google and give you further updated information on!
The room was very quiet and peaceful. Every room had a pond some ponds had fish others where tinted black but accented the room perfectly. The next room that one would walk into is beautiful.
This room felt warm and gave me a romantic and sensual feeling. The sounds of birds echoed throughout this room as the light of the dome drew your attention in, the light gave the space a relaxed and comfortable feeling. On the left hand side of the room as you walk around the path gives minimal color, however; as you continue to walk around the path you will be introduced to many different plants that had just bloomed filling the room with variety of colors.
Each plant seemed to have a personal connection with each other. The choices of plants that were to be put into this room were very unique and will grasp your attention and bring out the true beauty of the seasons as well as the park. In the middle of this room was a pond, a pond with a sculpture.
This sculpture reminded me of the Renaissance period and Rome. The sculpture was of naked woman reaching up to the sky of Heavens, “Crest of the Wave 1925, by Harriet W. Prishmuth American. Crest of the Wave was dedicated to Como to give a feeling of happiness and to lift people’s spirits.
The next room was gorgeous and reminded me of young love as people were posing for engagement photos. This room is called “Sunken Garden Flower Design.” This room is a long rectangle room that has light fixtures of stars dangling over a long pond filled with hungry fish!
As I walked into this room the smell of daisy filled the air. The colors and assortments of flowers put a smile on my face and reminded me of romance. The flowers were neatly organized and well thought out to give artistic apparel. This room was filled with an assortment of Chrysanthemums, Greek for golden flower.
The flowers come in variety of colors and many forms. Chrysanthemums are often grouped in an assortment of their petals and can give a daisy appearance. These flowers come from Ancient China and Japan and are considered royal throne.
At the end of this garden of Chrysanthemums was another sculpture. This sculpture was amazing! “Play Days 1925, by Harriet W. Frishmuth American,” is made of stucco and brick and is highly respected. Play Days is a sculpture of a naked woman who seems to be putting her toe into the water as she also is dancing around. I found myself very intrigued with this sculpture, although; this could have been because of the arrangement of the room and placement of the sculpture.
After leaving this room I felt very relaxed and willing to see more! I continued to walk around to the next room; this room is known as the Spice Room. A room filled with plants for known causes. In the past spices fueled global trade in the 1600’s and 1700’s this Japanese Garden represented those spices.
The feeling I received in this room seemed to be strong and more pressed. I felt very warm and almost suffocated from the moisture that filled the air. The room reminded me of a Japanese garden and its culture. The plants that filled the room were mostly plants I had never seen in person but may have learned in a biology class.
Once again this room had a pond with hungry fish. I say hungry fish because when you stand at the edge and look at the water you will see that all the fish will soon be in front of you begging to be fed! Over the pond was yet another sculpture this sculpture reminded me of religion. It was of an Asian man wearing a robe, while holding his hands out to offer something! I am sorry to report but I was unable to locate the name of founder of the sculpture or any details of this sculpture.
Now that you have a full description of the conservatory I highly recommend you to visit. The inspiration of Europe with the artistic patterns and representations will engage you as a viewer. If you are a male looking for an incredible date location, I once again encourage you to attend! I do not feel you will be disappointed with the beauty. If the plants and flowers do not engage you I promise the architecture will.
With that said, so long for now until the next read! I am sorry if some of the galleries and postings are out of order or delayed. The internet at my house isn’t working but will be up and running again later this week! With that said it will allow me to continue to post these blogs quicker and more efficient!

No comments:

Post a Comment